Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Retrospect.

Here I sit: in a beret that is sure to be gawked at, in my warm room after just taking a shower and eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch (which is sure to make anyone contemplative), mesmerized by the sight of snow. Louis Armstrong and Amy Grant are celebrating Christmas through my laptop speakers. And I can't help but remember. Isn't that what December is all about? Remembering, cherishing, keeping in mind?

So, here is what I'm thinking about; a kind of ode to anyone who has shared a noteworthy memory with me. To anyone who has made me smile, laugh, and embrace everything life has to offer. This December, I'm thinking of you.

An Ode To You, and You, and You.

Remember when we sat in the middle of the road at my cabin on Thanksgiving, mimicking Sir Mix A Lot and videotaping ourselves?

Remember when we went horseback riding in the Poconos for your birthday...and you didn't want to at first?

Remember when we sat at Starbucks until closing one night until they told us nastily to just leave already?

Remember when we went Geocaching by the baseball field for what seemed liked hours, and still found absolutely nothing?

Remember when we were getting ready to go out one night, and to prepare, we belted N'SYNC from my back porch on my karaoke machine?

Remember when we raced on the Bayfront at night because we could? Remember how we danced and sang at every stoplight?

Remember sipping wine on the last night of finals, wishing you didn't have to leave?

Remember skinny-dipping in the State Park while it was not only thunder storming out, but still broad daylight?

Remember getting lost in the woods after we picnicked, and then driving down dirt roads that were literally deserted and terrifying?

Remember watching trashy, poorly made horror flicks that always provided us with giggles and conversation for months to come?

Remember spooning in Egypt because who knew the desert froze over at night?

Remember trying to teach me for hours how to snowboard and then giving up and just counting the stars instead?

Remember going through wax museums in Canada and flipping out because the one wax figure really looked like Jeffrey Dahmer?

Remember going to see Cats and how I could not stop laughing at the absurdity of it all?

Remember when you told me to 'Go For It', and I didn't?

Remember trying on the hunting gear in Gander Mountain, and trying to take pictures without freaking out the other customers?

Remember sleeping under the stars on my back porch, and then waking up at 4AM freezing and covered in morning dew?

Remember playing Drop-Off at the cabin and seeing the 'prisoner' walk past?

Remember riding in the bed of your truck in the rain and spitting sunflower seeds over the side?

Remember eating chocolate cake and drinking wine from those classy red plastic cups on my bedroom floor?

Remember?


I'm thankful for these times and so many, many more. I can't wait for the memories that are waiting to happen. I just wanted you to know that.

2 comments:

  1. I finally thought of my thesis for the "argument" we've been having concerning whether I'm an introvert or extrovert. So: "I really am an introvert, I promise, just not when around other people."

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOCH!!!

    "It all boils down to whether someone thinks what you do with your time is wasting it. The extrovert scolds the introvert for staying in the house all day when there is a whole world out there, while the introvert laughs at the extrovert because he has all he needs in his room, and needn't waste energy running about."

    ReplyDelete