Sunday, December 20, 2009

Forgotten.

Context:

Step-dad needed me to bring my Ipod to the high school on Friday night. He was in need of a few songs. It was a semi-formal high school dance...boys were wearing tuxes, girls were wearing heavy make-up and looked rather whorish. All of a sudden I was a sophomore at Hughesville again. I walked into the entrance of the school and immediately recognized my 8th grade history teacher. He was sitting at a desk outside the cafeteria (where the dance was being held) taking tickets from the students.

Conversation:

Me: Hey, Mr. Peterman, you probably don't remember me...

Mr. P: Hey, of course I remember you!

Me (very suprised): Uhh..

Mr. P: Let's see, you and your brothers and sisters!

Me (still very surprised..and a bit confused - my brothers and sisters are in elementary...): Uhh..

Mr. P: Okay. I don't really remember your name..

Me (finally, a question I could answer!): Aeriale. It's Aeriale.

Mr. P: (Blank stare. Silence)

Me: Cooksey-Kramer. Aeriale Cooksey-Kramer? I graduated in 2007.

Mr. P: Nope. No, I don't think I remember you. Sorry...I thought you were someone else. Hey, who did you used to hang out with?

Me: Um. Becka Newhart. (she was the track star, tennis champ, beauty-queen extraordinare. We are still close to this day).

Mr. P: Oh yeah! Becka..I remember her!

Me (feeling rather uncomfortable and stupid): Listen, can I just go into the dance..my dad's the DJ, and he needs my Ipod....

Mr. P: Oh, sure. Sure. It was good seeing you again!


...You know, I never was the lead in the musicals. I was never in the top three Varsity spots on the tennis team. I was never Valedictorian, and I never really stood out anywhere.

But oh, to be long forgotten. Now there's an achievement that many people will never gain. I suppose you can say I was never remembered. At least by those who don't matter. :)

1 comment:

  1. you better start raising your hand in class so that doesn't happen at Behrend

    ReplyDelete