Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Plan That Will Most Certainly Go Awry.

I can smell it - NYC's human traffic, crowds so thick every back is pressed against every stomach and everyone is wondering why the hell they decided to do this in the first place. The excessively cold wait, huddled against strangers and friends, again thinking this was a terrible idea. Food plastered in pockets, empty bottles hanging from frozen fingertips, just in case.

And of course I'm not there, not yet. Tyler and I will drive from Huggiesville to State College, spend the night, meet up with Michelle and Curtis, and make the what seems to be 5.5 hour journey to the heart of New York. We will stand pressed against each other for a meager 10 hours, listening briefly to Daughtry and J.Lo, and I will be smiling, no need to worry there.

Crowds don't bother me in the slightest. I love to get lost in them. I will stow cash in one pocket, my pretty pink mace bottle in another, and whatever food might be able to fit where, because we're gonna be hungry.

And then we'll count down the precious hours, minutes, seconds until the ball drops. Lots of kissin', huggin', drinkin', chattin', laughin', glad to be in the midst of the greatest New Year's party. Confetti will fall from the sky, making the night that much more fun.

What a glorious way to ring in 2010. Bring it on.

3 comments:

  1. That's no party!! It's torture. Please, PLEASE at least drive to the closest train station and take the train in. It's SO SO SO SO much easier and will make your life all the better. Think about trying to find parking, the money it will cost, and then trying to inch your way back out of the city when things get boring at 12:15.

    At least look into it, for my sake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've changed my mind about the train-taking advice, nix it. I don't know when they stop running, nor how crowded they will be; and should my advice leave you stranded on a cold train platform for hours-on-end, I don't know how I'd live with myself.

    Enjoy your night, send a picture-message.


    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of you guys Aeriale! This is on my list of things to do before I die. Have an awesome time, be sure to pee before you get downtown, or else you'll be peeing in that empty bottle.
    Remember the fun we had in 2009, I can't stop thinking how sad I am this year is over.

    ReplyDelete