Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NaNoWriMo Madness

A form of writing suicide is participating in National Novel Writing Month. I tried to tackle this challenge two years ago, a lowly, eager Sophomore in college...and let's just say it lasted two weeks, two weeks of sleep deprivation and tears and being a miserable person to live with, just ask Michelle.

I hung posters for the challenge all over my room like a groupie. I bought a book from the NaNoWriMo website. I promised myself that I would not quit until I had at least reached a decent word count.

NaNoWriMo is the epitome of self-challenge. It begins on November 1st and goes until November 30th... one measely month to write a 50,000 word novel. The idea is to write every day, reaching for a personal word count, and eventually coming up with the backbone of a novel, decent or not, as long as you complete the goal. It's craziness.

I've certainly come a long way in my writing from Sophomore year, but this challenge still lurks. Should I try it again, even though simply thinking about it makes me want to pull my eyelashes out (one by one, with tweezers)? Should it really be this painful for a writer to pop out 50,000 words in one month? Does it make me any less of a writer if I cannot accomplish my own self-chosen goals?

Whether or not I decide to participate, the idea of writing every day is something I need to try instead of pushing it away like a chore. Maybe it's not really about the challenge at all, but about the willingness to set my priorities straight and to plunge into a project with as much ambition as I used to have going into a tennis match.

4 comments:

  1. You should totally do it! I've actually never done NaNoWriMo (my many excuses are coming in a blog post soon) but I did my own writing month last year and somehow vomited out 60,000 words. It was painful and terrifying and gave me an eye twitch, but I'd never take it back. I think you can do it! And to answer your questions: Yes, it can and should be that painful, and no, it doesn't make you less of a writer if you don't meet your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aeriale... we've talked about this. Wouldn't that time be better spent revising and condensing some of your short stories? Maybe reading some nonfiction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would it be in or out? 50,000 words or failure. Who's standard is that, yours? What about 25-30,000 or less or more? You can still have time and space for rest, reflection, revision, a cup of something warm a blanket and a new interesting book. Isn't part of the purpose to push yourself and stretch your current boundaries? What does it look like to do that in harmony with your current situations and responsibilities? I'm excited to hear what you decide to do. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, have you made a decision on NaNoWriMo? It is after 9pm on Oct. 31 and I just randomly decided to do it. Never mind that I have (real) novel revisions and other writing work that will come first. I am going to write 50,000 words of something totally ridiculous this month and I'll never show it to anybody else. For some reason, I'm really excited, even if (or because?) my "novel" is going to be the biggest train wreck ever. There is something liberating in all this. If you decide to give it a go, good luck.

    ReplyDelete