Tuesday, March 9, 2010

suga suga how you get so fly?

I went with my sister to get braces today. I re-lived all of my own horrific experiences over the course of 3 metal-mouth years and cringed as she sat up and said, "Well, that didn't hurt!"

Gritting my own teeth, I smiled, nodded my head like the wise old sister should, and thought to myself, you just wait. WaiBoldt until your teeth start shifting in your mouth. Wait until you go for the bi-monthly tightening. Wait. Wait.

They have these new and improved braces out that are just metal without the color. Apparently they are smaller and more compact, but I couldn't tell the difference. They still take up the whole tooth. They still sport the same wires and brackets and goofy, more metal less enamel smile.

Can you tell I despised my brace-face years? I had rubber bands that attached from the top bracket to the bottom. I also wore ugly glasses that took up too much of my face, bifocals that made my eyes ten sizes too big, and I think those were also the years that boys started to matter. Braces were not the worst of my troubles back then, but they added to the nice little compilation I had going.

Now. Now I rub my tongue across my teeth and always smile way more than I should, if only to prove that my living hell is now over. I grew up.

I watched from the driver's seat mirror as my sister ran her tongue from one end of her mouth to the other in sheer fascination. She did this for a half hour straight.

You just wait, I told her. Although the words never left my lips, she looked up and smiled at me. Just wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment