Saturday, July 11, 2009

Inhibitions.

Today in one of my writing workshops, my professor mentioned his time in Croatia, hinting at how he got to know some of the natives of the Dubrovnik area, eating meals with them and spending his time learning about their lives.

I found this intriguing, and then I realized I not only find it intriguing…I’m beginning to regret not doing it myself. It’s hard, though. It’s very hard to spend a little less than a week in each country, trying to squeeze in touristy time AND traveler time. It’s difficult sometimes to fully get away from the SAS crowd…and often times, it’s even harder to make a conscious choice to step away from the SAS crowd and go off on your own. At least for me.

I hate big groups with a kind of deadly passion. And yet I find myself walking in circles with groups of ten sometimes, trying to decide on a place to eat, or where the nearest bathroom is…I find myself wasting more time wondering what will make everyone else in the group of ten happy and not thinking of my own desires for each country.

Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Egypt, Morocco. These are the countries that I have left. I don’t want to smile wistfully at my professor when he describes his experiences in every country with the locals. I don’t want to waste time making decisions and then being secretly unhappy with those decisions in the end.

I’m glad that I’m figuring this out now. Spain, Italy, and Croatia were practice runs. “How not to spend your precious few days in Croatia”, or something along those lines. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy my time in each of those countries…I just know there are deeper connections to be made when I let myself off the leash of the SAS crowd. And find those connections I will try.

So, I’m making an SAS resolution right now. Right this minute. I will not let moments escape in which I could learn some Greek words, or eat a meal with a Turkish family. I will not let my inhibitions of being by myself hold me back from experiencing culture. This was my biggest fear when I left for this trip, and here I am, struggling head to head with it.

I am going to do my best to submerge myself in each country fully and without regrets in the short amount of time I have left.

No reserves, no retreats, no regrets. J

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh..you are much wise this morning grasshopper! I, indeed, hope that each moment you spend in the countries is a moment to savor, and it becomes the gravy of each choice. However, as your professor may be more aware of culture change and traditions, it may also be wise to accept that it is safer to travel(when young)in at least a group of three to stave off wolves that surround us know matter where we are lead in life. Maybe ask your professor if you can join him on one of his excursions in order to be more profoundly awake for the experiences you so secretly desire.

    I love you grasshopper...you are most admired for your "stepping out" and your adventurous spirit!! Caution is always a welcome feeling as it allows us to explore life without erratic behavior yet keeps us in check with reality!

    Please, please be careful and continue to enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, I forgot to "write", I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU GREATLY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is uncle george, mama is wise ,you listen and I know you do because your becoming smarter and developing a grown woman who I'm very proud of you neice I love you sooooo much

    ReplyDelete