Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Greece Day One ((It's all GREEK to me!))

"What does that say?"
"I don't know! It's all in symbols!"

...this was the extent of most of my conversations with friends as we wondered around Piraeus looking for the Metro to make our way into Athens. Once we made it into Athens, we got completely lost looking for the Acropolis and the Parthenon...and you might think this is absurd, but I had no idea what I was looking for. I've never seen ruins before, and the Acropolis from the street just looked a bit like a run-down castle-like structure. Once we walked most of the way up...nothing like hiking Mt. Vesuvius, but tiring nonetheless, I cringed. Construction, everywhere. They were renovating the ruins, and it made me very unhappy to see men in construction gear, hammering away like they owned the place. I guess I was expecting to find Athena, or at least some peace of mind. Anything would have been better than metal poles and ladders stealing the beauty and intricacy away from those ruins.

We ate lunch at this cafe, our first Greek meal...and boy, did I eat Greek. Mousaka adorned my plate, and I've never eaten eggplant before, but it was quite tasty. Mousaka is this shepherd's pie-looking dish with potatoes, eggplant, ground beef, cheese, zucchini, and other interesting ingredients all mixed in. It was yummy. Michelle, Emily, and I split a piece of authentic baklava for dessert, which was heaven-like. It might be my new favorite non-chocolate dessert.

We met up with Paul after lunch and the four of us scoured the streets in search of...whatever people in Athens are looking for. On our way, Emily and I split a slice of coconut, and me being me, I bit into it like a piece of chewy candy. I've come to think I don't know much about anything, but it's a refreshing feeling sometimes, because everything is a learning experience. The coconut about broke my incisors and I recoiled, spitting out the shell and pure white coconut. It tasted very similar to a piece of cardboard. So much for refreshing.

The streets around the Parthenon are filled with street vendors trying to sell you fake Gucci sunglasses and Prada bags, while at the same time trying to cop a cheap feel. Nothing like Naples, though, and for that I smiled at these lonely men trying to make a living, and slithered on my way.

All this slithering and smiling brought me into a specialty music store down an alleyway with more vendors and many a tourist. Weird-looking instruments that looked like a cross between a guitar and something very phallic caught my eye. The dark-haired man behind the counter must have seen the gleam because he was in front of me, playing this beautiful-sounding thing. He also recited poetry to me after he found out I was a student studying English. Talk about slick.

In the end, after walking around Athens some more and eating gelato, I found myself back in this music store, purchasing the phallic-looking instrument. Bouzouki. That's its name. And for what it's worth, I already learned how to play the chords to "Titanic"...not that anyone on the ship wants to hear that song...I am still planning on buying my African Drums, no worries there. But this Bouzouki makes the coolest sounds.

I have never played a guitar in my life, or do I know how to read music, or do I know how to play a Bouzouki at all...but I will learn, and I am learning, and I am having fun. Eat your heart out, I told myself, because I may never return to Greece. So, I thought, why not?

Why not?

A.

2 comments:

  1. Oh baby, you so need your Mama! I am realizing that I have sheltered you so.....you ate the outside of coconut? My, so many learning experiences, how will you fit them all in a lifetime? Yep, that's what mama's here for, so we can experience them all (I'm good at that multitasking thing you know) TOGETHER!! Btw, why do you say you may never return, and then write me on Facebook saying, "we will" return together. Are you using my "joint account" as a means, or are you just having a Gemini moment (two faced...)?

    I say PLAY ON baby, don't let the fact that the only song you know is Titanic turn you away, you could be like the movie and keep playing as she sinks, at least it's worth a moment!!! Give em' something to ignite the excitement, that's what I say (but then I say a lot of off the wall things) so PLAY ON, PLAY EM' A TUNE, even if it's the only one they don’t' want to hear. Show em' what you DO know!

    Stay away from water that has band-aids in it, you never know who they've been attached to, ewww...visual I don't need! Seaweed's ok, it's good for the complexion (or so I'm told), Seaweed wraps anyone? Or you could pretend that you're in another country and make California Rolls, you want Pesi or Diet Pesi, reg rolls, flied gleen beans? You know which one I'm talking about! We'll visit there too!!

    Ok, so I now see that I'm writing my own novel, so I'll wrap this chapter up for now. Look for more entries to follow below pictures and Day two!

    I LOVE YOU, <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aeriale, Aeriale, Good mornin to the Wonder-Wizardess of the Blue Med. As I read your blog, I am always shaking my head....your take and experiences are really something. Years from now, you will reflect back and you TOO will be shaking your head. Tell me..... When you leave the ship in ports, are you equipped with any info, maps, etc. of possible places to go and see????? Or do you and your friends just scramble about??? The photos are interesting. You compose pictures like the covers of paperbacks. Sure am glad you found food that was pleasing(the eggplant-shepard's pie). Since you are a potato-lover.... learn to say the word,"Potato" in the country's language and see how many ways it can be presented. Aeriale's Potato-Diaries, Oh Yes!
    When we travel, we love to visit the Open-Market Places. Here are the people and the stuff of their land. It can't be all Guicci and Prada. You still have 4 stops left... see the markets, experience the Markets. Dance thru the Markets.
    Your spirit is refreshing.Now you are a musician on top of being a writer-explorer, now that is a stimulus-package. By the time you return with the mandolin and drums, you and your comrads will be a new-wave band or something, something.
    Keep writing and snapping photos, it keeps getting more off the wall as you go.
    Hugs and Love.... stay away from dirty water.
    Aunt Lindy
    PS... we are headed to the open air market place of the Lycoming Co. Fair this very weekend. We will all be talking about you. Do you feel it???

    ReplyDelete