Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Greece Day Two ((It's Aegina, not A-Gi-Na))

"I need one ticket to A-Gi-Na, please."
"That's what she said." Smirking.
"Geez, Paul. You are so foul." Rolling of the eyes.
"They like it. And you like it." Smirking.

Paul, Michelle, Liz, Carrie, and I bought tickets to our first Greek Island today, Aegina, and hopped on this boat called the "Flying Dolphin". Sound sketch? It was actually very pimped out. It had hydraulics that lifted it pretty much off of the water and "flew" us across the Aegean Sea. Forty minutes later, we were scuttling down unfamiliar alleyways with hungry stomachs. Carrie and I walked in a different direction from the others in search of cheap, quick food. We found this cute little cafe that was sandwiched between a wonderfully smelling bakery and a foul smelling fish market. I stared at hanging octopi as I thoughtfully chewed my sandwich.

We all met up later and spread our towels out on Aegina's rough sands. The beach was this minuscule strip of sand next to the port where we unloaded off of the ferry. I lay on my towel, sweating profusely (not glistening), and finally I couldn't stand the heat. Paul and I walked into the sea and we both looked at each other and began to laugh. It was bath water, lukewarm, seaweed-ridden, and band-aid strewn. It was filthy.

Aegina was an okay island, not what I expected from a Greek Island, but suppose not all Greek Islands can look like Santorini. I would have given my right thumb to go to the island of Santorini, which houses the true white-washed buildings with blue roofs that are always shown in the movies. It's just not affordable for a college student. It's more of a "I just got married and now have a joint account" type of island. This just means that I will have to come back to Greece when I am retired and still money-less, because lets face it: I am a writer.

I had fun, though. I laughed and took many black and whites of the Grecian people, and talked about everything with Paul and Carrie and Liz, people I did not know a month ago. We sweated together, relishing in the grecian heat. After all, strangers make the most interesting company, sometimes. And isn't it sweet when those strangers become friends?

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment