Friday, July 10, 2009

Croatia Day Three ((That's an actual country?))

Montenegro. I have never heard of this place until just a few days ago as we were docking in Croatia. I had absolutely no idea that it was its own country. I thought it was a city in Croatia, but nope, apparently it even has its own language. Montenegran, or something like that.

On a whim, ten of us rented a van (yes, a VAN), and had the driver take us two hours into the country of Montenegro. I thought island hopping was fun, but country hopping is way cooler. When we’re docked in a country, and we leave that country with our passports and bottles of water…now that’s pretty sweet, especially when you didn’t know that the particular country that you are traveling to existed.

None of us had any expectations, and the country itself ended up looking a lot like Croatia, with the red rooftops and beachside cliffs. It was gorgeous. We ate lunch in the small city of Kotor Bay (I ate a roast beef sandwich topped with potato salad and pesto mayonnaise. It was incredibly yummy.) and then we made our way to Budva (home of the Budvians) where we spent the rest of our afternoon and evening. We toured around the city walls, the fortress, the beaches.

After walking, and walking, and walking some more, Paul suggested that we sit down at a bar and have a drink. By that point, I wasn’t going to say no. Not that I wanted a drink, but a seat would have been amazing. We passed a place when we first arrived to Budva that had egg shaped seats that hung from the ceiling. I thought the place looked pretty chill, so we found it again and walked on in.
…my first thoughts as we made our way past brightly colored couches, tiki torches, and mini-huts were, “Wow. This is really trippy.” We found a quiet spot in a corner of the place, and I seated myself into a beanbag. A beanbag. The entire place was outside, and bugs crawled around our legs and buzzed around our ears. A woman with her stomach showing and a high pitched voice asked us what we would like to drink. After checking out the cocktail menu, I decided on a Long Island Iced Tea. I don’t know what I must have been thinking. There was no tea in that drink…who knew?

That was when I saw the big hookah sitting on a table. I laughed out loud. Of course. It all made sense. The beanbags, and huts, and weird masks adorning the walls….we were in a hookah bar! It was hilarious to me that I was sitting in a hookah bar, sipping my not-so-yummy Long Island Iced freakin’ Tea in a country I had no knowledge of prior to Croatia embarkation. Or maybe it was hilarious because I was feeling that drink in the pit of my stomach.

We paid our lovely van driver in Kuna and Euros and Dollars and made our way back to the ship after one very long drive back into Croatia. “You are now leaving Montenegro. Don’t forget to tell your friends back home that this place exists. Maybe even highlight us on your world map. Please come again!”

A.

4 comments:

  1. Oh baby..who knew I was supposed to have educated you on liquors, rums, and Long Island Iced Teas before you decided to travel abroad(and before you turned 21). How much I learn what I lacked in "mama" teaching when reading your blogs...

    I'm so sorry we got cut off today during our conversation...made me more sad and miss you that much more. Your voice sounded as excited and sweet as my little rose bud (I think she's purty...).

    Be safe my baby, and keep the words a flow, and pictures produced.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aeriale,

    Be careful in the foods you eat, looks are not everything. I miss you so much. Your phone call made me so extremely happy, it was very nice to hear your voice. I wish I could have called you back and talked about everything. I will email you later this weekend on email, not blog so be sure to look for it.

    P.S. The pictures are really great, I'm so happy to see your smiling face!


    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you talked to Moma yesterday. That made her so very excited to hear your voice. Croatia and Montenegro all in three days sounds like you will run out of passport pages before it expires. This is so cool. Try ordering a local brew, not so many potent mixed drinks, and maybe you could recomend one for me. Stay away from LIIT's. No joke. 1 Drink is like doing 5 shots. It takes 5 liquors to make 1. Now you know. I love your pictures. One of my hundred list is to get a photo of mine into National Geographic. Looks as though you will beat me to this goal. I will e-mail soon. Block Party is today and I have to set up. Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aeriale,
    Great photos, It's so good to see you with friends in allof your wonderous places. More, More, please. Get smart with the "drink-time-trials".
    You seemed to like Sangria once. Don't be fooled anymore. Today is the day you are wise. From now on, ASK about what you ordered, or keep it safe with a drink you do know. Keep sending photos and blog, I check almost everyday to keep up. Sure, it's fun to strike out on your own to experience more personal adventures, but,... again.. be smart this time, know what is around you. Much love to you. Looking forward to hearing about Greece next.

    ReplyDelete