Friday, June 19, 2009

sunsets and pub night

Unbelievable. I’m sitting on the pool deck, it’s ten at night, and the sunset is drifting slowly across the horizon. We’re currently four sleep-depriving hours ahead of US time, and I can’t seem to keep myself on a natural sleeping regimen. It’s weird and delightful. Right now the pool bar is having “pub night” and it seems as if half the population on the boat is ordering drinks and socializing to their hearts content. I am the geek with the laptop on my lap trying to find my muse in the ocean. Bare feet litter the area and silhouettes outline the sun going down. It would be completely romantic if drunken SAS students would back off into a nice little corner and stop ruining the moment. But. That’s just me.

I have class back to back every day from 8am-12pm, and I’m sick of it already. I spent most of my day reading 200 pages of Hemingway because we have to have it read by tomorrow. I’m thinking this summer class thing is a bit ridiculous. Whoever thought that I was going on a cruise with nothing to do but spend time sunbathing and flirting away the sunset was mistaken. I’m studying like I’ve never studied before, and pouring my heart out on pages to be read aloud in class. Why oh why didn’t I take electives? What’s more odd? Semester at Sea honors no weekends…that’s a joke. We do class every day that we’re at sea…so tomorrow, I will be in class, and Sunday I will be in class, and I will be in class until my birthday, which is our first port of call, our first day of land. And believe me, those are reasons enough to bolt from the ship and start having “moments”. Oh yes.

I also wanted to thank everyone for the comments that you’ve been leaving on my blog. I cannot write back, but I receive every comment in my SAS email, so feel free to keep producing feedback for me. I have my SAS email, and I would love to hear about your summer and life and anything that is going on back on land.

aacookseykramer@semesteratsea.net

I love and miss you all. Thank you for all of the comfort and support you’ve been giving me these last few days. I will keep you updated once I have more news (or at least some exciting stories!).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aeriale,

    This is Mama and Moni and we're providing her a second lesson on how to comment here for you to see. :-).

    Love you,

    Mama and Moni

    ReplyDelete