Thursday, June 18, 2009

finding my niche

It's been 3 days. I've been aboard the ship for 3 days, and I am trying to get over homesickness, believe it or not. It's hard to imagine me being homesick as excited and ready to get away as I was on land. But when you have no friends, and no way to communicate to anyone familiar on land, life becomes a message in a bottle. Yes, Michelle is my roommate, but poor girl has been sea sick for the past three days, and I've kind of done my own thing, letting her sleep it off. I miss everyone terribly. I’m going through that awful awkward stage of introducing myself to people, waiting for the friendship thing to happen, wanting desperately to find my niche. Finding one’s niche is not as easy as it may seem. It’s Freshman year at college and we’re playing icebreakers and trying to remember first names, except that everyone here already seems to have those bonds. Girls go to dinner in groups of ten, and sunbathe in groups of thirty. Guys slink along behind the girls, hoping for more than dinner, I’m sure, and as I watch, I can’t help but wish I was home.

Now don’t scoff and throw your arms up wildly. Believe me, I’m trying to make the most of my time here, I am. But I’m not the kind of person to throw myself haphazardly into conversation just to have someone to chat with for five minutes. Once we get on land, I’m sure the situation and feelings with change drastically. I just need time to adjust. I think I’m still experiencing shock.

I started classes today. I have three classes all back to back from 8am-12pm. It certainly makes my afternoons free, but who wants that freedom without anyone to enjoy it with? I need to be busy, and I already have to finish a novel by Saturday, which is crazy, but I’m grateful for the time spent not thinking about home. Speaking of Saturday, I have classes for seven days straight. It’s weird, ripping off the pages of my calendar and seeing “Saturday” and “Sunday”, and getting in the shower at 7AM. Yuck.

The food is okay, because I told you I would keep you updated, Moni. J It’s very buffet, very cafeteria style, but we have foreign waiters who come and refill our drinks and take our plates away. That’s about the only difference. I cannot wait for real food in the countries. I want the real deal, the Spanish menus, and Greek fish markets. I want the spicy-ness and fishiness and freshness of the Mediterranean.

Well, that’s all I have for now. More details and stories later. Need to go find someone to awkwardly eat dinner with. J

2 comments:

  1. Aww, Say hello to Michelle, I hope her seasickness gets better. I will be praying for you to find some good Christian friends and your novel too!
    <3 Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY AERIALE!!!! hope all is well. The first few days will be the worst but i bet you will make tons of wonderful friends. you should find the wild crazy ones but not the really crazy ones that jump off the back of the ship crazy. Also i have the helicopter ready to fend off those pirates!!! (hopefully that got a chuckle) watch out for those guys that want more than dinner hahaha ;-) but i'm sure once everything start working and michelle is feeling better things will be awesome and the homesick will subside. It is kind of like freshman year yikes the first few days/weeks of not having friends. I am sure in the end you will have a ton of wonderful memories... Is the food better then the dobbins? Brunos is totally 5 Stars so i know it can't beat that. 4 days till i set off for Cali, which i hope will be an awesome time, even though your trip is way cooler!!! I emailed michelle and told her that i was goign to try to get postcards out, but i may have lied.... I may just send them digitally to her by email and such!!!! Enjoy the trip im sure you will have tons of fun!!!!!! Hope to see ya when you get back!!!!

    As ALways,

    -- Curtis

    ReplyDelete