Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Survival Honeymoon

Remember in seventh grade when you made that list with your friends, the list that named all the qualities you would want in a potential husband (mind you, not boyfriend, but husband)? My list in seventh grade might have included something like tallish and rides BMX bikes and must be named Jesse Berrier. You know, the usual. I read an essay tonight by one of my favorite authors, Amanda Eyre Ward. She writes about her honeymoon in Belize and how she and her husband are both complete adventure junkies. Basically, after reading her essay, I've come to terms with what kind of qualities I'd like my husband (not boyfriend) to present. My list (as of right now, senior in college, twenty-something) is as follows:

  1. Must be willing to admit that he's lost and enjoys being lost. With me.

  2. Must be willing to travel to places we can't pronounce the names of and stay in hostiles. Not five-star, elaborate hotels.

  3. Must be adventurous but not so extreme that we cannot stop hiking/scuba diving/hitchhiking when I say that I am hungry. Food always comes first. Especially if we are scaling Mount Vesuvius in Italy.

  4. Cannot snore.

  5. Must be a reader. Because I need down-time. And in my down-time, I like to read. Therefore, he should probably grab a novel and snuggle up next to me and we can pretend that reading is an enjoyable two-person activity, when really, I'm escaping and forgetting and being alone.

  6. Must like all foods. Cannot be picky.

  7. Must be semi-outgoing, probably more outgoing than me. Because I will not tolerate standing around, staring at each other all the time. We should probably enjoy talking to each other, to some extent.

  8. Must be willing to kill spiders. Even the smallest ones. And especially daddy long legs.

  9. Must have faith.

  10. Must love rollercoasters. And plane rides. And it might be an added bonus if he owned a boat.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for the male version of me. Then again, this is my 20-something, college student, I'm picky and that's cool version of this list. It's bound to change. It's bound to be completely inaccurate.


Maybe I'll stick with Jesse Berrier and BMX bikes. Maybe, by this point, he'll be tallish.

2 comments:

  1. Not saying I'm your Mr. Dreamy, but I do want to approach this as a test, as we both know I'm every girl's dream husband.
    1. I don't get lost. Even when I don't know where I am—I'm there. I suppose I just have an awesome sense of direction, so being lost isn't so much of a problem
    2. It's "Hostel," not Hostil. And they're whack. Run-down Venetian hotels are much better, like hostels, but we'd have our own room and no one would steal our shit or stab us.
    3. Finding the mid-adventure restaurant is the adventure
    4. I've trained myself not to. I sleep like a meditating buddhist monk.
    5. Talking isn't necessary to communicate. Plus, thighs make awesome pillows for post-picnic reading in Tuscany
    6. I dare you to find something I don't like. For my commencement dinner I'm going french; I can't wait for my frog's legs and escargots.
    7. X^D
    8. You know how I grew up... killing bugs is almost reflex for me at this point.
    9. I have faith—it's mainly in myself though. It's like a Trust of sorts—the bridge where Trust meets Faith?
    10. I know how to sail... but you gotta gimme a lil' time on getting my yacht. The only guys you're gonna find with boats are going through mid-life crises.

    .... I'm 6' 2.5" by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first your list was basically describing my husband, which made me smile, and then it started to not describe him, but it made me smile anyway. And I personally got a chuckle out the "hostile" typo...after all, you never know who you're going to bunk with. :)

    When I studied abroad I stayed in hostels all over Europe. I loved it, so when my brother came to visit me (who is decidedly not a hostel type of guy), I insisted that we stay in hostels when we traveled together...including the really creepy one in Munich that had two twin beds stuck together (they would not come apart) and this weird shower thing in the MIDDLE of the room with only a measly shower curtain around it. And I had to share this room with my brother. Awkward!

    Oh, and how could I forget? I met my husband in a hostel -- the Global Village Backpackers in Toronto. So hostels obviously hold a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete