Saturday, November 28, 2009

Winter Song

I think it's finally winter. I can feel it in the way my hair blows softly against my cheeks, in the way my nose and fingertips numb after fifteen minutes of walking around outside. Although you may disagree with me, I find it very hard to believe that it has been 'winter' all November. The leaves were still falling in November. People were outside raking their yards, sitting on their porches chatting the evening away.

It's not like that anymore. It may not be snowing, but winter has slipped its way through chattering teeth and windburned faces.

I walked my lab this late afternoon, my favorite time of the day. He pulled me through town and as I was delightfully strolling along, I noticed something. I listened to the clap of my footsteps and I listened to the wind, and I listened to my own thoughts -- but the cheeriness of peoples' conversation is long gone. There were no kids playing in the streets, or climbing trees. No couples were sitting on porches. I saw maybe two cars drive by during my entire 45 minute walk through town. This surely equals winter.

There's also that absent feeling in the air, like something is missing. It's a loneliness that you can't shake. Winter clears your head, but puts your heart in a muddle -- and you can never really pinpoint what it is that you think you're looking for. I love the loneliness, though. That particular feeling is what I look forward to most. I think it makes being close to people that much more enjoyable.

My personal remedy for the Winter Blues?

-> Switch between hot tea and hot chocolate, and make sure you always have a mug in hand.
-> Cuddle up with a novel, and maybe a certain someone.
-> Wear a beanie! I don't know about you, but hats always improve my moods.
-> Tune into the Christmas music. Don't be afraid to let loose once in a while, Jingle Bell Rock awaits!
-> Take a walk. Let yourself think. Listen.
-> Break out the wool socks. And the knitted scarves. And the leather gloves.
-> ...and last but not ever least... go Christmas shopping. You don't have to have any money to be creative, this I know very well. But I find that when I'm thinking about others, my mood generally tends to lighten. It's magic, I swear.


The color of springtime is in the flowers, the color of winter is in the imagination.
-- Ward Elliot Hour

3 comments:

  1. Aeriale,
    It was really great to see you at the cabin.
    After nearly 6 months, with the sea voyage and fall semester at Behrand, I was just happy to be chatting with you about anything and everything.
    I loved all your photos... they will always remind you of such an adventurous summer. (by the way.... Mammaw said she didn't get to see the photo books and she would really like to sometime)
    Well... shortly, you will be heading back to school, but Christmas is coming fast. Keep those compositions and essays comin, march those fingers across those keys and like a winter flower....bloom your way to spring.
    Send me something to read anytime.
    Love ya.... Aunt Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. from Aunt Lindy,
    Be very careful driving back to school.
    We look forward to seeing you at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's quieter out, isn't it..

    ReplyDelete