Thursday, October 29, 2009

An Ode to Andrew


I have a plan. An actual (and therefore not metaphorical) plan. One that might just sprout wings this summer and take off. I am stoked.

I'll admit, sometimes I don't think I know how to be a writer. Sometimes, I forget that we have to invest in self-promoting, and use our writerly capabilites to entice business people to merely glance at our work. Sometimes, I don't realize how hard I might just have it for the rest of my life, because writers, we're going to have it hard. It's inevitable.

The Plan:
--Write a proposal/inquiry stating my offer of being a travel writer for the Williamsport area, meaning that I will be encouraging/promoting the idea of the "staycation".
--This will include traveling to local restaurants/Susquehanna events/local natural attractions and anything else that Williamsport and the surrounding areas that may have become lost treasures.
--Send in the inquiry/proposal to tourism services/local newspapers/college campuses/Chamber of Commerce and smiling really big in hopes of obtaining some form of recognition for my writerly efforts and creativity.
--Waiting, waiting, waiting to hear back, and although this will probably be an unpaid venture, I can work from home and indulge myself with the idea of publication in something other than in my campus newspaper.

And that, folks, is my big idea for this summer. I plan on fleshing it out and asking until my voice becomes hoarse with pleading acceptance. Relish in it.

1 comment:

  1. Penn State is giving out a 2500 dollar summer grant... you might want to write them you're proposal. This is better than any idea I've had thus far

    ReplyDelete