Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Isn't it pretty to think so?

This past Sunday, I attended my first Bridal shower (not counting relatives, and if that were the case, then I attended my second). This just wasn't any regular Bridal shower, however, because it wasn't just anyone getting married. It was my suite mate, my friend, my friend that's two years older than I am.

As I sat at my table, watching Jenna laugh and smile, I wondered what was going through her mind. Was she absolutely terrified? Elated? Nervous? A little overwhelmed?

Michelle's mom was trying to hook her up with the waiter on my right, and on my left, boats sailed into the beautiful Lake Erie bay. If anything, I felt overwhelmed. Everything was happening too fast.

Jenna opened her presents, and random guests would stand up and provide her with words of wisdom, marriage quotes, life-long advice, love quips. She nodded at them all, probably trying to take in every last word. I was trying to take in every word, too. What did I know about marriage, life with someone aside from myself, love?

As we stood up to leave, I got a good look at everyone who gave her advice. I wondered what their love stories were, how they met their husbands, if they were truly happy. I gave Jenna a hug and told her she looked really pretty, which she did. She had that soft glow about her that only comes from women who are about to celebrate marriage.

And I walked out the door back into my life of tests and essays and road trips. I stepped out of my dress pants and sweater, and back into my comfortable jeans and T-shirt.

Growing up is a curious thing. Here and there, I have been getting glimpses into the 'real' world of resumes, bridal showers, and whatever is supposed to come after that. And it's a bit terrifying. But on the other hand, I'll admit it's kind of, sort of exhilarating.

That could be me one day. After I'm settled down, enjoying my travels and memories of college, that might just be me.

And as Jake muses to Brett in Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises", isn't it pretty to think so?

No comments:

Post a Comment