Sunday, October 4, 2009

Kissin' ((in)) the rain.

I thoroughly enjoy walking through the rain.

I mean, there are people who like to admire the rain from the couch while the television is on with a beer in hand. There are even those people who like to admire the rain under the confines of an umbrella. But I have to say, I really like hearing my shoes squeak against rain-splattered pavement. I love the smell of freshly watered grass, the sounds of people mumbling under their breath because they spent hours doing their hair that morning. I love the dripdripdrip and swishswishswish of jackets pressing against skin, of droplets the size of dimes scattering themselves generously across what should have been water-proof clothing.

I love the mood of rain. You know that melancholic, I-wish-I-were-anywhere-but-stuck-in-the-rain, mood? I see it a lot around Eeeerie...people who become jaded by the rain after the first dreary week. I personally enjoy the mood of rain. Maybe it's because I am a writer. I appreciate those melancholic moments more than most people, I suppose.

Rain provides the perfect moments sometimes. Doesn't it always seem to accentuate the drama in Hollywood?

I'd bet that it certainly deepens the moments in a lot of people's lives. The upside down kiss in Spiderman....I'm going to argue that that kiss was made perfect because of the presence of rain. What about Shawshank Redemption? The rain scene near the end when the main prisoner finally, finally breaks free as he lifts his arms to the sky without a shirt on? Priceless. And...what about Singin' in the Rain?? Don Lockwood celebrates one of most amazing rain scenes, with an umbrella and top hat, no less. Poignant.

One day, I will celebrate my rain moment. Oh yes. It's on my list of Things To Do Before I Die, so I suppose it will happen. And what better place to celebrate the rain than in Dreary Erie?

No comments:

Post a Comment