Friday, September 24, 2010

a fine brew: teacups and lizards and tourists and "The Big O"

The entire Bassler family is on a plane right now, headed for Orlando, and I'm pouring milk on my cereal, angry that school must clash with my childhood.

Maybe Space Mountain won't be worth the wait. Maybe the lizards will be in hiding because of a temporary frost that has paralyzed the city...in September. Maybe, just maybe, my car didn't actually get busted up and I have enough money in my account to make a nice little weekend getaway.

But no. I will spend today printing off grad school applications, placing them neatly in folders so as not to confuse each school's terribly confusing app instructions.

I will spend tomorrow at a wine festival in Northeast (which I'm very much looking forward to) and hit up some craft fests down along the way.

I will spend all next week reading and re-working my thesis pieces (not to be confused with Reese's Pieces), and reading some more and failing another astronomy test.

I'd rather invest in Fast Passes and skip the wait. I'd rather sit in the living rooms of my childhood friends, maybe listening to Backstreet Boys, shooting some hoops, because what else do we still have in common?

It's okay, though. My turn will come to go back and re-visit beautiful Disney World (which houses too many smelly tourists and cranky parents). Right now, however, I should probably finish my cereal and make a call to remind my family to send a postcard.

3 comments:

  1. So the next time you go to Disney World, CALL ME. I am in need of a Disney World replenishing also. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like amusement parks are a big running theme in your life. Please tell me you're setting a novel/short story in a theme park.

    Have you read Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh baby, you needn't worry. Disney will be here and waiting for your return. Fast passes are getting better than you remembered, and sore feet are nothing that I'm sure you're aching to feel again anytime soon. I am bringing you back a surprise!!! We miss you my baby.

    ReplyDelete